Wednesday, December 15, 2010

News from DC 3rd Ward

Hey everyone!

Glad to hear things are crazy as usual haha. Things here are really good, the city is sweet! People here are surprisingly very nice, and humble and willing to listen to us a give us a chance, so that is nice. It is definitely a lot different than down in Southern Maryland, but I love it here. Being on a bike is fun, except it kind of stinks because Elder Krugman has been on a bike now for 3 months, and he dominates me when we go up hills, and because it is so freakin cold here! No worries though, I have a lot of cold weather clothing, and I will be buying some more later today actually, I don't want you guys to have to worry about buying me any, because that way you won't have to spend more money by sending it to me, and this way I can get exactly what I want.

Anyways though, the city is sweet, there are 8 missionaries in the ward that I go to now, along with 2 senior couples! So I am definitely not banished down south any more. The ward is sweet, it is mostly black people, and they are hilarious, and because most of them come from different religious backgrounds, there are some things that they do at church that I wasn't used to, but it is completely normal to them, I can't really think of any specific examples at the moment, but I will get back to you about that next week, it is sweet though. Also, this last Sunday, there was a baptism in our ward, and she is an awesome lady that has a sweet story. Apparently missionaries knocked on her door about a year ago, but she was not interested at the time and just sent them on their way, well about a month or so ago, she saw missionaries riding on their bikes and actually stopped them and told them that she thought that she needed to join the church. She has a distant relative in our ward that she talks to quite a bit, and she just decided one day that this was the next step in her life. Pretty crazy how the Lord prepares people, and just like that they are baptized after 1 month of meeting with the missionaries.

Well thank you guys for the CD player and CD's that you sent me, and Grandpa for the Gift Card!!! Do you guys want me to make copies of the CD's that you sent so that if something happens to them, there will be a back up? Let me know. Dad - my camera is a Nikon CoolPix S3000, my companions name is Elder Krugman, and you are a jerk for bringing up steak and strats!!! Mom - no I am pretty sure that isn't in my area, Silver Spring is east of my area, but I will definitely keep that in mind! Thanks for the update on all the other missionaries, anything on Jake? I got a christmas card from his family this week! Tell them that I hope they are doing well, and Jake as well, also see if I can have his address so that I can write to him!

As for the Christmas phone call, I am not exactly sure what time I will be calling, but it will be after 2 o'clock here, so after Noon there, more likely it will be somewhere around 1 or 2 your time would be my guess, and President has told us to try and keep it to about an hour. I am really excited to talk to you guys! And Have a great week!! Love you TONS!!!!

- Elder Schaap

P.S. I might get on later and send you some pics! I forgot the connector again.... SORRY!

No comments:

Post a Comment