Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Baptism and a Fond Farewell

Elders Schaap and Krugman with our cute recent convert before baptism. She was a little nervous about the water, so we both helped her into the font.

Elders, and our cute convert and Postmas at her baptism.

Elders at sunrise this morning.

Lincoln Memorial today

Posing at the Lincoln Memorial???


So I just want to start off this email by saying sorry!! Last P-day was kind of crazy, so I guess I will start there.... So at about 9:45 we got a frantic call from our cute investigator saying that she thought her brother was in the last minutes of his life because he was having a very unusually heavy breathing pattern, as soon as Elder Krugman and I heard this we got into our suits as fast as we could and were out the door. When we got there, everything had calmed down, and he appeared to be doing just fine, shorty after we got there the Postma's along with a few other members of the ward got there, but we were there for a good couple of hours just talking to her and making sure that we were doing all we could to help. So that is the reason I couldn't really send you guys a long email last week is because we still had a bunch of things we had to do, and I apologize.

I guess the next thing I need to tell you about is Friday, Elder Krugman and I were over with she and her brother, we got there around 1:45 maybe, her baptismal interview was scheduled for 3:00, so we wanted to review with her what would happen during the interview. As we were sitting there talking with her, I noticed that her brother's breathing was getting very heavy and he looked a little uncomfortable, I didn't think much of it, but I kept my eye on him as we kept going over the interview questions. I continued to notice that his breaths were getting heavier and less frequent, this is when Elder Krugman and I both said something to her because we knew it was close, and just about that time around 2:20, unfortunately, he passed very peacefully. Elder Krugman and I didn't know what to do to try and comfort her, we didn't know what to say, and pretty much the only words spoken for the next 15 minutes or so was a prayer said by her that helped her to be calm. We called just about everyone we knew to come over and no longer than 20 minutes after we called, there was about 6 people from the ward there to help comfort her. She was able to handle it really well, about as well as anyone could in a situation like that, and before we left she informed us that she was still planning on being baptized this Sunday and she said these words to me, "I had been praying for a miracle that my brother would be able to come to my baptism, and now I know that he will be there."

So I guess after that sad news, I have some really really good news! She was in fact baptized this last Sunday, and she asked me if I would perform the ordinance!! Of course I said yes!!! Everything went so well!!!! She was pretty much already a part of the ward, so there was a bunch of people, Pres. Matsumori was even there, and spoke at it, which was sweet!!! We are so excited for her though, her testimony is so strong!! She is also going to speak at the next "Why I Believe" Fireside at the Visitor's Center, not this coming Sunday, but the next one!!!!! So we are really excited for her!!! She is so great!!

Well, I hope that email made up for the one that I didn't send haha but I think you guys can understand why it happened that way. I love you guys so much though!!! And I hope that your week was a good one, it sounds like it was!!! LOVE YOU!!!!

- Elder Schaap

No comments:

Post a Comment